Saturday, September 14, 2013

In the year 5774

Today is the Jewish High Holiday. It's the day of atonement. A chance to reflect and ask forgiveness for our sins and transgressions over the past year. In my case, all my Whitney Cummings cracks. It's a day of fasting (Jewish tradition has it that on all holidays you either fast or eat way too much), spiritual reconnection, and taking a break from your daily responsibilities (I will not be hosting SNL tonight out of respect to my faith and because no one asked me to.)

Staying out of work and school is not always easy or convenient.

I'm reminded of Sandy Koufax not pitching the first game of the 1965 World Series because it was Yom Kippur. Don Drysdale pitched instead. The Minnesota Twins bombed him. He was lifted in the third inning. As Dodger manager, Walter Alston came out to the mound to get him, Drysdale said, "Yeah, Skip, I know what you're thinking. Why couldn't HE be Jewish?"

To all who observe: Happy 5774 (which means Mel Brook's 2000 year-old man is now really 3764).

9 comments :

Hamid said...

Happy High Holiday, Ken. One of my friends is going to see Leonard Cohen tomorrow here in London, which was originally scheduled for today but was changed at his request when he realised what day it was going to be.

I find there's a Simpsons quote for every occasion, and I recall an episode with Principal Skinner on the phone: "I know Weinstein's parents were upset, Superintendent, but I was sure it was a phony excuse. I mean, it sounds so made up: Yom kip pur".

Michael said...

I am reminded of about 25 years ago when I was listening to Don Imus and he said that it's Jewish New Year 5751 and Chinese New Year 4688, leading to this question: how did Jews survive a thousand years without Chinese food?

I can't imagine it myself.

Neil D said...

I won't say Don Imus stole it, or even that Allan Sherman originated it, but Sherman beat Imus to it when he observed on one of his albums: "that means that for 1063 years, Jews had to do their own laundry".

Mike Barer said...

Sandy Koufax became a hero of mine not only because of his faith, but because he was a lefty. However, I didn't start following baseball untill after he retired.
Koufax hosted a baseball show that came on before the game of the week. He also was a on the telecast with Curt Gowdy and Pee Wee Reese as a commentator and so I started reading about his career.

Sue said...

Happy New Year, Ken! I just hope Ryan Braun is in Shul today repenting. Sorry to have mentioned his name in the same blog as Sandy Koufax.

Wayne said...

I thought the High Holiday was April 20 or as it's known, 4 20.

Mike said...

Good news, fellas. Only some 100 days and you can moan about being excluded from Christmas.

cadavra said...

But as Don Rickles once noted, "We blew Christmas...but we sell ya the toys."

Storm said...

Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax...

Cheers, thanks a lot,

Storm